MAJOR REFLECTIVE STATEMENT

It hasn’t sunk in yet that I’ve just handed in my final university project. I think this project has felt different to the others due to the fact that it has been in production since the end of second year, which is the longest project I’ve ever committed to both in uni and out. I think this is also another reason as to why my project has changed as much as what it has. Although the initial idea has remained the same throughout, small things have been constantly changing. Especially as I have learnt new skills and undertaken other projects in the meantime, it has lead me to make creative changes which incorporate various things I’ve learned in these projects. Having much longer for the production of this film has allowed me to concentrate on the smaller details and Intricacies which I never could in previous projects because of time constraints. So that was really nice to be able achieve the detail which I wanted to in previous projects, in this one. 

Despite the circumstances and repercussions that covid brought, I actually really enjoyed this project. It was stressful at times, but I gained the most satisfication with the finished result than I have with any other. I think this is due to the fact that this film was something I solely produced by myself, I gained advice and help from Alan and Phil (in early stages) but the production was all created independently by me.


As I took on a environment design based project, I wanted to ensure I created a space that was realistic and to hopefully Industry standard. As I enjoy playing games like uncharted, the last of us due to their complexity of level creativity and attention to detail in their story telling. This style is something which inspired my project, it drove me to be extra particular with the texturing of my objects and use mapping to my advantage. This was the first time in any project I used bump, specular, and normal mapping, on a singular object. I didn’t truly realise the benefits on these maps until I applied them on to my objects, and then from the first one I was obsessed, and then applied these maps to all my key objects. Then with a lot of time and back and forth texturing I was able to create a realistic looking office which I was really happy with. 


Another part with I enjoyed was the editing process. In previous projects sound design was usually always a last minute thing but this time I put a lot more preparation into it and I think it paid off. I had paid voice actors as well as a subscription to a sound and music platform. Which opened up so many doors for Sfx and editing. And with the film being set in the 80s I could likewise find sound snore appropriate to the time. 


I would be lying if I said this project was easy because it hasn’t been, it’s tested my Maya and post production skills, as well as my own motivation. However I have learned so much in this project that I feel so much more confident going to a work environment and has got me excited to work in this industry :) 

Comments

Popular Posts