PREMSE - REFLECTIVE STATEMENT

Overall this project for me has been a nice challenge and not a type of project I would have seen myself doing at the start of this course. Premise has differed a lot from our previous projects as we have had the freedom to choose the style/ theme/ storyline etc, we are creating something from scratch. For me, this made gaining the initial idea harder than I thought as there are multiple pathways I wanted to go down with it. However, my conversations with both Justin and Alan really helped me to settle on a solid idea that I felt passionate about, and was realistic for me to create.

At the beginning of the year, I would not have considered myself an environment artist as I hadn't produced much work within the field. But I draw a lot of inspiration from games and films with complex set design and environments, therefore I decided to take on the challenge and focus on designing environments for this project. One skill I have learned in this project is perspective drawing. As my other projects hadn't focused too much on perspective, I taught myself the basics of both 2 and 3 point perspective, which I used for the detective's office concept art. Although the drawing took me longer to produce, I'm confident enough that they are accurate, and will help me greatly in the future when it comes to Maya, and layout. Choosing a project which is also story heavy, I had to test my storytelling skills, and knowledge of shot types etc. Alan suggested to me in the planning process the post it note method which for me really helped to visualise my film a lot easier, and is really effective in constructing the order of a film. Therefore when I plan any future plot lines, I will be sure to use a similar method to this.

With the amount of work I produced this project Im happy overall, as it took a lot of research to get to this stage I'm at, however there are elements of the project I would have liked to explore more. I did want to make a start on 3D work in maya like making briefly the layout of the room, and creating a pre-vis animatic, however due to current circumstances unfortunately it wasn't possible. Creating a 2D animatic was useful but I would have liked to see how the camera would have moved around in 3D space. That being said, I have had more time to develop the design and plot, making them much stronger to take forward into next year.

I hope to purchase my own computer this summer so I am able to work with Maya, mud box and the adobe suite to broaden my knowledge and experiment with style and technique. I would also start modelling particular props that feature within the film, which will take a bit more time to get accurate. I will also dive a bit deeper into my plot line and script, as I want that to hopefully be prefect and ready to be recorded/ animated for the start of next year. Especially as summer is a long period of time, I don't want to put too much pressure on myself next year.

But overall, I have really enjoyed this project, and challenging myself by coming out my comfort zone and I'm excited to see what next brings!


Comments

Popular Posts