COLLABORATION - REFLECTIVE STATEMENT

I have really enjoyed this collaboration project, while also learning a lot from it. Although it has been the toughest when it came to the amount of work we had to produce in a short amount of time. My assigned group members were Shannon and Karris. I felt like we had to work quite efficiently from the beginning, as the first task was to design a studio logo and blog. It didn't take us very long to come up with a design and aesthetic for our studio, and we all had an equal contribution towards it.

Something which I felt was particularly important in this project was giving and receiving feedback on our work. As there were multiple people working on the same film, it was crucial that we were honest and critical about each others work. At first it was challenging to receive feedback on something which I have produced, or particular designs being rejected. But this was the whole part of the project, as everything we produced had to be collectively approved.

A part of the project which I felt the strongest in was the animation and character design. Although  one of the characters which I designed was removed from the film due to time reasons, I really enjoyed building the characters and applying them to Moom. After receiving feedback regarding character building, it then made planning the animation scenes/ story much easier and more appropriate for each character. Therefore, when it came to the actual animation, using the combination of reference footage, and the understanding of the character, was I able to animate their true reactions etc.

However, there were some elements of the film which we felt needed more development, and after receiving feedback on Crit, became more apparent. Cici's character although had a strong design, needed more work within her character. Simon suggested that we were too harsh with her, especially as she was blind, which looking back at I agree with completely. We could have possibly made her visually impaired, thus creating more comedic and intense scenes.

The sound for the film was also something which we wanted to focus on more, but due to time we were not able to in as much detail as we wanted. However, we included 3 simple music pieces, each one different for each character, and some basic sound effects. Although this wasn't as much as we initially wanted without it, the film wouldn't of have a flow, or certain parts of the animation would not ahem been as effective.

I would have loved to be able to spend more time on the animation stage of the project. I started the animation with little confidence and understanding, but the longer I worked on it, the more comfortable I became. This meant there were particularly scenes/ shots which I wanted to clean up/ work more into. However, I chose to prioritise finishing the whole animation, rather than having each scene clean and to the best quality I could make it. Therefore, I wasn't completely satisfied with my section of animation

Overall, I have really enjoyed this despite the short amount of time we were given to complete it. As this was the first time I was animating properly, i has taught me how important it is to work cleanly and efficiently when making animation, and plan ahead.



Comments

Popular Posts