WHAT IF METROPOLIS - REFLECTIVE STATEMENT

Overall I really enjoyed the What If Metropolis project, although I was hesitant at the beginning due it being based around Maya. The artist I was given was not one I would have chose personally, which I think is what caused me to really push myself and experiment more with digital painting, colour especially. 

The design and concept part of the project challenged me as I struggle to form ideas without any reference, so I am really pleased that I was able to create production art which suited the artist and my own style. As Joan Miro has a very simple theme and style in his work, keeping this in my work was also hard for me as I prefer include detail and shading.

My original concept painting reflected my personal style a lot to the extend where it didn't resemble his very much, it was too dull and dark. However I adapted it to be more cartoony with black lines outlining the drawing, with block bright colours and very little shading which made it suit his style much more. It was surprisingly fun to create a drawing like this, as it allowed me to understand the composition more and explore a style I had never done before. 

Creating the set in Maya was easy for the most part, there were a few challenging elements within the hero building and the trees, but it was mainly composed of the default geometry. I used my concept drawing a lot to create the set it helped me with the positioning and perspective. This part of project was fascinating as I was able to see the city come to life, and resemble something which I had created. Texturing and colouring for the scene was quite easy and simple again, as I wanted it to have block colour. I also wanted the structures to have little reflection therefore just applying the standard surface shader worked best. 

As I had created the scene earlier than I expected, I was able to get some last minute feedback and advise. Although they were only a few small things it really boosted the scene and made it as finished as to could have been. For future projects I plan to finish with a similar amount of time left I as it really helps to dive into the smaller details and be precise with anything.  

This project has proved to me that I should experiment with other styles than just my own, and to be more confident with Maya. Also, getting things done earlier leaves more time for improvements and help to develop ideas further. 


Comments

Popular Posts